Monday, December 22, 2008

Not such a fun week

This week has brought some stress and difficult decisions! JW was told Friday that he could either go on the road to Kansas for 4-5 weeks (without coming home to visit) to work on a Biodiesel plant or he would have to be layed off work. There are lots of factors that go into deciding what to do. Initially he felt one way, I felt the other way. He doesn't want to be away from Luke for that long and Luke would miss him as well. Plus he is worried that with me being pregnant, something would happen and he wouldn't be here. On the bright side, we do have a lot of my family close by that could help with things like walking Cooper, dragging the trash cans up the hill (that darn hill!), and also just in case something were to happen there are people that could help me. For now we decided that he should work as long as he can and hopefully that will keep him employed and with his insurance for as long as possible. If he lost insurance we would have to go on mine and it's a lot more expensive and then if I didn't go back to work after my 24 accumulated sick days then I would have to pay my portion of the premium and we wouldn't be able to afford that. I was really looking forward to taking the rest of the year off and being home the first 5 months with our baby girl. It would be strange to think about going back at 5 or 6 weeks and JW being home with the kids!!! I know he would have a great time with Luke but I think a little newborn would be hard to manage as well for him (heck, I know it will be hard for me!). So I want him to try to keep with his job and insurance for as long as possible and we will be hoping that things pick up and get busier the next couple months. So he is scheduled to leave Jan. 5th for that and we will see for how long it ends up being. Right now, it's pretty depressing to think about!
So then Sunday early morning we lost power and so did everyone else from the ice storm. By 9am it was 53 degrees in the living room so we were packed up and headed to Aunt Amy's where there is at least a gas fireplace. Power did kick on and off during the day Sunday and we stayed warm and hoped power came on soon. A friend said they heard it wouldn't be on until Christmas! My grandparents in Ft.wayne had lost power Friday and were told it won't be on until Wednesday Christmas Eve... so that was scary to think about pipes freezing and what to do! Luckily for us the power was on fairly consistently by that evening and has stayed on since. My poor grandparents are still waiting and so we probably won't have Christmas eve at their house as is tradition. Another bummer!
Today when Luke and I finally came home from Amy's I had called the doctor and learned that I did not pass my 1 hour glucose test! How can this be??? Could all the candy/chocolate I received as gifts from students and ate at school that day have made the reading higher?? I'm hoping! Now I have to go for a 3 hour test which includes 12 hours of fasting before the first blood draw. Then they will draw my blood 3 more times after I drink more nasty glucose fruit punch.... blahhhh I don't know if I will physically be able to drive myself to Goshen in the morning and stay awake for 3 hours without my ritual Diet Pepsi to wake myself up! Now I have to be "careful" and try not to overdo it on the sweets and carbs over Christmas. ANOTHER BUMMER!
My Grandma always says bad things come in 3's so I am hoping those are it and things will start being better the rest of this week.
There is another possibility of freezing rain and ice Tuesday into Wednesday so I am hoping that doesn't cause too many problems around here. JW will work tomorrow and have the rest of the week off. Next week he also just works Monday and Tuesday so we can have a long weekend together before he will leave for Kansas. Yikes! I am ready for some Christmas cheer! Too bad I can't have the alcoholic egg nog this year... haha ;)



Keeping up with the Kompagnes Copyright © 2009 • Designed by GrudgeMom